It’s no secret that the Island of Hawaii (commonly referred to as the “Big Island”) is among the most biodiverse ecosystems in the world. There are hundreds of ways to explore the island, including cycling, hiking, and kayaking. With so many Island of Hawaii tours to choose from, the selection process can be quite overwhelming. But, luckily for you, the concierge team here at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel has pieced together eight of their favorite tours that even kamaʻaina mistakenly overlook.
The Best Island of Hawaii Tours Along the Kohala Coast
While we urge all future guests to explore nearly every corner of this gorgeous, eye-catching land, we narrowed this list to the one region: Kohala. Now, many of these Island of Hawaii tours branch out into other regions, but you’ll likely spend the majority of your well-deserved tropical escape within an hour of picturesque Kauna’oa Beach. Without further ado, here are eight of the best Island of Hawaii tours:
- Big Island Spectacular: Let’s start this list in the air. Blue Hawaiian Helicopters’ two-hour flight glides past active volcanoes, towering waterfalls, dramatic cliffsides, lush rainforests, and so many more natural spectacles!
- Volcano Unveiled: For those who’ve dreamed of exploring the interior of an ancient lava tube, we highly recommend the unforgettable 12-hour “Volcano Unveiled” excursion. No other lava tours in Hawaii can match this dream-like, half-day exploratory trek.
- Mauna Kea Sunset & Stargazing: By now, you’ve likely heard all about the island’s jaw-dropping sunsets and crystal-clear skies. But have you ever wondered what a sunset looks like above the cloudline?
- Kohala Waterfalls Adventure: Nature enthusiasts and thrillseekers always return to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel gushing about Hawaii Forest & Trail’s deep-wilderness waterfall tour. Yes, it’s one of the most physically demanding of these Island of Hawaii tours, but it’s a journey unlike any other.
- Kohala Canopy Adventure: One of the country’s fastest ziplines hangs deep inside a tropical rainforest near the Kohala Coast. Don’t forget your camera, because these sky bridges provide one-of-a-kind photo ops!
- Hakalau Exclusive: We fully understand that 12 hours of birdwatching (or “birding”) isn’t for everyone. Still, there’s something truly remarkable about venturing into a restricted wildlife refuge in hopes of observing ʻapapane, ʻakepa, ʻakiapōlāʻau, ʻIʻiwi, and several other endangered, seldom-seen birds.
- Paniolo Downhill: Intermediate cyclists shouldn’t return home without peddling their way through Paniolo country. Finding the best bike tour in Hawaii is quite simple: just browse through Big Island Bike Tours’ website.
- Manta Moonlight Night Snorkel: We’re proud to offer guests an inside look into the Pacific Ocean’s moonlit, underwater world. Join researcher James Wing for a private, 90-minute snorkeling tour just steps from one of the best hotels on the Big Island.
Top-Reviewed Luxury Hotels in Hawaii
For more information about each of these unique Island of Hawaii tours, please give our concierge desk a call today at 1-808-882-5707. These friendly, highly-knowledgeable vacation guides can arrange a horseback riding excursion, bike tour, golf getaway, and every in-between. We’re proud to be the area’s top-rated resort, which wouldn’t be possible without our ocean-view accommodations, fine dining, and money-saving packages. To check availability for the upcoming winter season, please visit us online.