It’s the Bee’s Knees!
The Month of love is here! Red and pink hearts have been filling the storefronts and this particular holiday presents a great time to bring your honey to Mauna Kea Resort! Take your sweetheart to Mauna Kea Beach Hotel when you make it an extra sweet stay in one of our rooms, or accommodations packages. Plus, don’t forget to indulge in our fantastic Mauna Kea Resort honey. Learn more about what makes our island hives flourish, how Mauna Kea is helping, and where to find honey on our menus!
Home Sweet Hive
Did you know that Honey Bees are incredibly important not only to Hawaii’s ecosystem but the whole world? Bees help with pollination of essential plants and flowers, thus giving new life to flora and fauna on the Island and across the globe. Today, many plants need to have commercial pollination hives to help pollinate crops as well as produce by-products. Here at Mauna Kea Resort, we have our hives to help give back to the ecosystems while utilizing the products collected on our menus and so much more!
Fun Honey Bee Facts
- Honey Bees are vital in helping pollinate Hawaii’s ornamental and food plants.
- Beeswax is a by-product produced by honey bees and is used in commercial products like candles, cosmetics, batik art designs, musical instruments, and more!
- Honey Bees first arrived on O’ahu in 1857 by a Committee of the Royal Hawaiian Agricultural Society.
- Honey is an export of Hawaii.
- Hawaii doesn’t allow for the importation of Honey Bees making bees very vital to Hawaii.
- One honey bee weighs .00025 pounds which means it takes up to 4,000 bees together to make up 1 pound.
Sweet Copper Bar Cocktails and Where to Find Honey on Our Menus
One of our favorite cocktails at the Copper Bar is our specialty cocktail. It’s the Bee’s Knees! This resort exclusive drink features locally harvested honey and gin to create a delicious and sweet flavor that will spark your taste buds into wanting more! To make this specialty you’ll need to muddle basil, add in gin, lemon sour, and your crucial ingredient Mauna Kea Resort Beehive Honey to finish off the drink. Grab a drink while this item in on the menu, here are our other cocktails.
If you happen to need even more honey-flavored menu items we recommend our flatbreads which incorporate honey into the dough and offer a sweet touch to our delicious flatbread pizzas.
No matter how sweet you make your Mauna Kea Beach Hotel vacation, you’ll enjoy learning all about the honey production and tasting all of our delicious honey-incorporated treats! Don’t forget to check out the rest of our dining options and enjoy your stay at our lovely resort this season of love!